Best Practises: Instagram Posting
Sendible and other third-party social media management companies connect to social sites such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc., through an application programming interface or API.
Instagram applies certain restrictions to its API that you will not encounter when using Instagram directly. Understanding what is allowed through the API will help you compose your Instagram posts more easily and publish them more successfully.
Only Instagram Professional (Business or Creator) accounts are allowed to publish through the API. And you must connect your Instagram account to a Facebook Page to be able to publish directly.
Note: Although direct publishing is allowed, the following restrictions still apply:
Publishing: 50 updates per rolling 24-hour period across all post types (Reels, Stories, and Feed posts).
For a rolling 24-hour period, only 50 updates can be sent from Sendible to an Instagram Professional account. Posting more than this can stop the posts from being published by Instagram.
Characters, Hashtags and @tags: Instagram allows a maximum of 2200 characters, 30 hashtags, and 20 @ tags.
Instagram multi-image carousels
A maximum of 10 images per Instagram carousel is currently supported.
The post will not be published where one or more images do not align with Instagram's image restrictions. If you're using our Smart Compose Box to create a multi-image post, we'll highlight any images that need to be updated under the Instagram tab:
- Open the Compose Box and select the Profile List you're looking to publish to and an individual Instagram Business profile.
- Attach your images on the 'Original' tab.
- Check if there are any image validation warnings under the 'Instagram' tab and update your images if needed.
- Remove the Instagram Business Profile from the profile selector.
- Add your copy, etc. and schedule or send your post as needed.
- Posting mixed media carousels (images and videos)
- Posting multi-video carousels
We're working on this and hope to provide support soon.
Other points to note are:
- Images will be displayed in the carousel on Instagram in the order you attached them when composing your post on Sendible.
- When multiple images have been added to the Post Preview for Instagram, we will display only the first image.
We're also looking to work on this in future updates to enhance our support for Instagram carousels.
Instagram TV is not currently supported via Instagram's API. You can use our Instagram Reminder profile to help schedule those posts.