Best practices: Social platforms image guidelines
When posting attachments to any social media platforms via their API (how third-party platforms like Sendible integrate to social sites) you’ll find that there are restrictions in place which will cause your posts to bounce if you exceed these requirements.
This is not the case when logging in and posting directly to your social media accounts, however, all social media platforms apply restrictions for users posting via their API, and these restrictions differ from channel to channel.
This article will outline all the restrictions and you can jump to the social site you need by clicking on the social site on the right of this article.
- Up to 5 MB
- Gif images are also supported (up to 1280x1080 pixels)
- Post photo/in-stream photo: 8192 x 8192 pixels or smaller
- Up to 8 MB
- Profile picture: 180 x 180 pixels
- Desktop news feed: 1200 x 630 pixels
- Gif images are supported
- Up to 15 images can be uploaded per post
Posts to Facebook Group Profiles are currently able to post only one image.
The following restrictions mainly apply when posting to Instagram Business Profiles through Instagram's API, as posting with an Instagram Reminder (Post) profile is manual and will still go through the Instagram mobile app natively.
Instagram doesn't allow Carousels, Stories, or GIFs to be posted through their Instagram Business API, so you'll need to do so using our Instagram Reminder (Post) profile with push notifications, as shown here.
- Maximum image size 8 MB
- Formats: JPEG
- Square - 1:1 aspect ratio
- Aspect ratio: Must be within a 4:5 (Portrait) and 1.91:1 (Landscape) range
- Minimum width: 320 pixels (will be scaled up to the minimum if necessary)
- Maximum width: 1440 pixels (will be scaled down to the maximum if necessary)
- Height: Varies, depending on width and aspect ratio
Images are not allowed
- JPG, GIF, and PNG formats supported.
- Up to 900 width X 470 height pixels (For best results, when posting via Sendible)
- Up to 10 MB
- Gif images are supported up to 250 frames
- Images for posts: 7600 x 7600 pixels (however, very large images will be resized to standard sizes)
Images that are posted to LinkedIn will be displayed in the home feed with the standard 1.91:1 aspect ratio. So if the image posted is wider or taller than this aspect ratio, it will appear cropped to fit this standard shape, but will display normally when opened.
- Up to 5 MB
- Gif images are also supported
Google My Business
- Minimum size - 480 x 270
- Maximum size - 2120 x 1192
- Only uploading cover photos are supported
- Up to 5 MB