You may have recently received an email from us advising that your site needs to be moved to our secure SSL server.
This SSL update is important because:
- Your users including clients may see a message advising that your site is unsafe.
- Knowing your site is secure builds trust for your users (and helps with GDPR compliance).
- Social sites are likely to block connections coming from http sites in the future and this would affect the ability to setup services for that site and to post to or retrieve information for existing services.
What does SSL mean?
SSL provides a secure channel between two machines or devices operating over the internet or an internal network. One common example is when SSL is used to secure communication between a web browser and a web server. This turns a website's address from HTTP to HTTPS, the ‘S’ standing for ‘secure’.
Is there a cost?
No, we will not be applying any fees or charges to cover the change.
What’s needed on my end?
The CNames for your White Label will need to be updated. We would need to agree a time to do the update as there will be some downtime due to the CName updates and we will need to update some of your Apps once the CName changes are visible on our end. Ideally we want to do these two steps as closely together as possible to ensure the minimum amount of disruption for you and your users.
When can you make the updates?
This will need to be done during our main office hours of Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm UTC.
What should I do when I’m ready to proceed with the update?
- Send an email to email@example.com or log a ticket using the option within our help centre with the subject line “SSL Update”. This email should include your proposed time for the update but, please be aware that we may not be able to commit to this in every case. Please provide a date and time that is at least 5 working days after you send the email. Our working days are Monday - Friday.
- Once the time is agreed, we will send instructions for the updates that need to be made to your CName settings and send a meeting invite for the agreed time in case assistance is needed making the CName changes.
- When the CName change is made, it usually takes 1 - 2 hours for this to be propogated so that the changes are reflected on our end. During this time, you and your users will not be able to log into the White Label.
- Once the changes are reflected on our end, we will need to update some of your White Label Apps. The related services, eg. Facebook and Tumblr, will not be accessible until we have updated them on our end.
- Once the updates are made to the Apps, the process is done.
Will posts still be sent out during the downtime?
Yes, as this is handled by our backend, this does not rely on the White Label being accessible and posts will still be sent out as normal during this time.