When choosing the right image or video for Instagram often it is hard to know which are the best formats of which Instagram supports. We've put together this article to give you the recommend image and video formats as well as recommend the size for when scheduling your Instagram posts.
The following restrictions mainly apply when posting to Instagram Business Profiles through Instagram's API, as posting with an Instagram Reminder (Post) service is manual and will still go through the Instagram mobile app natively.
Instagram doesn't allow multiple images, Stories or animated GIFs to be posted through their Instagram Business API, so you'll need to do so using our Instagram Reminder (Post) service with push notifications, as shown here.
- Up to 8 MB
- Formats: JPEG, PNG, BMP, and non-animated GIFs
- Square - 1:1 aspect ratio
- Portrait images - 4:5 aspect ratio
- Landscape images - Max 1.91:1
- Aspect ratio: Must be within a 4:5 to 1.91:1 range
- Minimum resolution: 150x150 (lower resolutions will be scaled up to the minimum)
- Maximum resolution: 1920x1080 (higher resolutions will be scaled down to the maximum)
Aspect ratio templates:
Instagram is strict with their ratios, so it's important to stick to the ones provided. Please feel free to click the links on the provided sizes as guidelines.
- Square - 1:1 aspect ratio (for example 1080 x 1080)
- Portrait images - 4:5 aspect ratio (for example 1350px x 1080px)
- Landscape images - Max 1.91:1 (for example 1080px x 608px)
- Story images - 16:9 aspect ratio (for example 1080 x 1920)
MOV videos might fail to post at some instances and can be less consistent than MP4 videos, but we are looking to address this ASAP.
Format: MOV or MP4
Audio codec: AAC, 48khz sample rate maximum, 1 or 2 channels (mono or stereo).
Video codec: HEVC or H264, progressive scan, closed GOP, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.
Frame rate: 23-60 FPS.
Maximum columns (horizontal pixels): 1920
Minimum aspect ratio [cols / rows]: 4 / 5
Maximum aspect ratio [cols / rows]: 16 / 9
Bitrate: VBR, 5Mbps maximum
Duration: 60 seconds maximum, 3 seconds minimum
File size: 100MB maximum
For any further questions about the best formats to use for Instagram please contact us by logging a ticket and we'll be happy to help!